Tuesday, June 2, 2015

crafting hero: Rachel the Quilter



 Rachel is a quilter.  She's 97 & tells my boyfriend's mother - tell that girl to hurry up and come see me.  When she quilts she jokes - who will take over her quilts if she's not around long enough to finish. 

When she was growing up, her family made everything themselves. These days she sells welder's caps - they're quick to sew so she profits. I saw one last time I visited Hamburg, Al & they're like a wool bike messenger cap I've seen before but they're made from cotton. 

 I haven't met her yet but Rachel is a crafting hero of mine. Yesterday I was thinking about my unfinished projects, a frenchie, skirt and quilt all in the last phases & then I imagined Rachel would probably say "Girl, just finish it" So I did finish the skirt and frenchie.  Sometimes you have to find your own crafting heroes (and invent them if you don't know them too well). 

No comments:

Post a Comment