Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Alabama Chanin style DIY swing skirt & how to unclog spray glue








This skirt I just completed and gave to my mother was in the works for about the last six months. 

I started from the very beginning on a family trip to Appalachicola, Fl last Thanksgiving. First step was cutting an Anna's Garden stencil from pennant felt.  

When I went to adhere the paper printout of the stencil to the felt as a cutting guide, to my dismay, my spray glue nozzle was clogged.  

I googled places nearby to buy turpentine so I could unclog and use my glue and get going with my project. 

To my surprise, I found out that the neighborhood we were actually staying in right next door to Appalachicola, Indian Pass, happened to be the main place in the country where turpentine used to be produced when it was made in the US.  It's made from pine trees.  What a coincidence! 

I was then at the same time amused and kind of more frustrated that I couldn't find anywhere in the area that sells turpentine now. 

Happy ending was, after more researching, it turned out I didn't need turpentine after all.  My family of diet coke drinkers were skeptical, but I soaked the nozzle of the spray glue in Diet Coke for about an hour and worked out the clog with the point of a straight pin.

If you need to dissolve or clean something, think about using Diet Coke. Its acid breaks down kind of a lot of things. 

This skirt is based on the Alabama Chanin pattern size xl.  I used lightweight cotton jersey. 


No comments:

Post a Comment